How I started
I opted for the method of using my bodice block to correctly fit the commercial pattern. In short, this method involves overlaying the bodice block over the commercial pattern, and noting down where there are any similarities or differences in the sizes. Read more about this method here.
I used the reproduction pattern in a modern re-print, so I don’t think it’s an exact copy of the original simplicity pattern printed in 1937.
List of final alterations
- Shorten bodice by 4.5cm.
- On the front and back, size 12 at neckline, and waistline.
- On the front and back, size 8 at armhole.
- Shorten the shoulder seam at shoulder point by 0.5cm.
- Re-draft the sleeve cap following 1930s Haslam Drafting. This is because I don’t like how the caps of modern sleeve patterns are too balanced. I find sleeves fit me better when there is an obvious difference between the front and back cap sleeve curve. I based the draft on a size 8.
- Fabrics: “Viscose Twill – Teal” from Fabric Godmother, and a similar white fabric from my fabric stash.
- Serged seams
- Thread chain loop button closure (from Youtube tutorial)
- Concealed side zipper
- Hand hemmed with herringbone stitch
- Fitted pin tuck turban hat, white silk dupion, made by me.
- “Bridget ankle boot” from Ugg
Photos taken at The British Museum, London, UK.